eTalk

Let's Talk About the Learning!

Thursday, August 16, 2007

What's the Perception?

cartoon from www.weblogcartoons.com

Cartoon by Dave Walker. Find more cartoons you can freely re-use on your blog at We Blog Cartoons

I've been reading over some notes I made to myself last year when I was preparing to start working with a 'new' group of teachers; 'new' meaning new to using technology to improve learning in the classroom, not necessarily new to teaching. I was thinking about Senge's Mental Models, and I wrote down how necessary it it to take into account what other's perceptions are. Senge notes that, "Before you open your eyes in the morning, 80% of what your going to see is already encoded in your brain."

When we approach learning something new, we have encoded a perception of what we think the learning is going to entail, and these perceptions must not be de-valued. If I want others to learn, I need to take their perceptions seriously. Easing them into the experience is what enabling the learners is all about. I have to pay attention! The perceptions of all the learners - teacher learners and student learners - are important, and reveal where I need to start.

Posted by :) L.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

My Voki


Get a Voki now!

“Choosing to do nothing, as an educational leader, is choosing.”

Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach

by Linda

by Linda
This blog is written by me, Linda Loder, Coordinator of Integrated Technology for the Smoky Hill Education Service Center in Salina, Kansas. All content and opinions expressed on this site are my own, and may or may not be agreed with by the administrators or staff of SHESC.

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (2)
  • ►  2012 (10)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2011 (10)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (21)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (4)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2009 (38)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (5)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (4)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2008 (20)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ▼  2007 (31)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (4)
    • ►  September (7)
    • ▼  August (2)
      • What's the Perception?
      • "Information Artisans"
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (7)

Linda's Delicious Bookmarks

Awesome Inc. theme. Theme images by mattjeacock. Powered by Blogger.