Wednesday, August 22, 2012

iLearn

When I was in the classroom, I told my students that my goal was always to learn something new everyday. Then, as I went through the day, when that 'aha' moment occurred, I would blurt out, "That's it! My something new for today!" Sometimes, I'd even write it on the board. It wasn't always a big thing, sometimes it was just a result of a relatively inane comment from someone during a class.
More often now, it's something a student shows me my iPad will do that I didn't know it could do before. Just because I live with it perpetually attached to my arm now, doesn't mean I know everything about the device.
Take that pop-up keyboard, for instance. I knew you could 'add' keyboards, even emoticons, to it. I knew you could split it and use it like you do the keyboard on your phone, with your thumbs in texting mode. But I didn't know I could move it up and down on the screen until a student showed me one day that I could put it anywhere I wanted on the screen. Amazing.
If you haven't figured it out by now, I've become an iPad Junkie. Every day I spend time playing around with the settings, digging into all the little windows and seeing what each setting will do. The one I don't like? The one that is for visually empaired users that reads the buttons aloud. Since it changes virtually all the settings (tapping twice to start an app instead of once, for example), I find it a bit difficult. And it is very hard to turn it off once it is engaged, so I don't demo that setting anymore, I just talk about it.
Now that I've digressed, the point - what have you learned today? If you're in education, you need to be about learning. And if you want your students to be learners, then you ought to demonstrate to them that you are a learner, a master learner, every single day.

No comments: