Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Scaredy Cats"?

Have educators all become "scaredy" cats? Is the spotlight of NCLB enabling us – or dissuading us – from making positive change in schools?

I’ll admit that sometimes, I’m a bit discouraged. Like everyone in education, I have too much to do and too little time. That’s not what is getting me down lately, however. What is hurting is the lack of enthusiasm I see on the part of those around me about learning something new. Time after time, I hear the excuse “I don’t have time for anything but the basics.” What on earth does that mean? To you? More importantly, to your students?

Maybe to you, it means, “I have to teach to the test.” News for you: We have ALWAYS taught to a test. How else did you give grades? Most of us certainly did not give grades based solely on the true demonstration of understanding of deep curriculum and ability to apply that curriculum to solve problems.

Maybe to your students, it means, “No use asking questions during class; the teacher doesn’t have time. When I ask a question in the middle of class, he always says he’ll answer that later after we get though the material he has to cover today.” Don’t believe me? I’ve had students tell me this at least twice this past semester.

We need to start making time for the NEW basics! A student who masters the 21st Century Learning Skills will pass those NCLB tests. Paying these tests as much attention as we are is only as good as we make that attention. What needs the attention are not the tests and the scores, it is the STUDENTS!

We don’t have many excuses left. All the research points to differentiated instruction and integrated curriculum as the best way to help all students learn to a level that leads to deep understanding. We all know that learning is not demonstrated by spitting back basic facts, but by learning how to apply those facts to new learning and solving problems. We also know that teachers need 21st Century Skills as desperately as their students do. This world is not going to slow down while we think about getting ourselves ‘ready’ for the future. The future is here and now!

So, I challenge you to give up your excuses. Make the time to get the skills you need, learn something new and practice what you preach to your students.

No comments: