Geocaching is, well, fun! My husband and I have recently tried this "sport"; downloading coordinates to a handheld GPS, following the hints left on the website at geocaching.com, and traveling the local area looking for caches. We've gone out twice so far, once with a four-year old grandson, and once with a grandson who is almost fourteen! Both enjoyed it! The older one was put in charge of the GPS and deciphering the the clues.
The results? Learning! The name of the game. Both boys, young and old(er) learned something about place and geography, both had fun, both stayed engaged for hours. Both even told their parents about it!
This Friday, I'm taking it to the field. I have set up a new public google notebook with links about geocaching, including videos and podcast as well as articles and websites. (See that link below in the right navigation bar.) I have six secondary teachers who are going to go on a mini-geocaching expedition that I'm setting up Thursday night. They don't know this yet, but they are about to be hooked into a learning experience that they will want to take to the classroom! I'm excited!
:) L.
No comments:
Post a Comment